Thursday, August 11, 2011

SC DIVORCE NAME CHANGE: IS IT ILLEGAL NOT TO CHANGE NAME IF ON DIVORCE DECREE?

Recently divorced, hyphenated my maiden-married name as I wished to start being called by my middle name and I have always used my maiden name as my middle name since marriage. (Did not want to lose my maiden name and saw hyphenation as the only answer.) My atty. didn't tell me some people have two middle names, which I now see on the web. My decree is final, I live in SC and want my last name to be the same as my son's; I call the judge's secretary and ask if the hyphen can be whited out. She says no, call your atty. Does anyone know SC law; can I just keep my married name and forget changing anything? I have already paid my atty. $7000 and we had already done an MOU. The papers with "IT IS SO ORDERED" are very intimidating and I do not want to be illegal. Again, My husband did not make me take back my name, it was my idea/misunderstanding. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment